AB Legacy Series
For Allen Bradley SLC Legacy controllers
In order to connect TagsCollector to an AB Legacy controller, you must first establish ethernet communications with the Legacy PLC. For SLC series controllers that are currently communicating over a Data Highway or Data Highway Plus network, the easiest method is to install a DH+ to ethernet gateway. Using this method, a single ethernet gateway can be used to communicate with all the nodes on a DH network (see AB Legacy Gateway configuration for details).
See DH+ Gateway Configuration for further instructions regarding hardware
- Open the TagsCollector Editor and select the Data Collection tab from the top of the page.
- In the data entry section at the bottom of the page, locate the Protocol drop down box in the Tag Type section and select AB SLC500 Gateway from the list of available options.
- Enter the IP address assigned to the gateway's 1756-ENBT ethernet module.
- Enter the Routing Path for the Legacy PLC where the target tag resides. The routing path is comprised of the backplane number (always 1), the slot number of where the 1756-DHRIO module is located, the Channel of the DHRIO module (A or B), and the node of the remote device (in octal for DH); each separated by commas (e.g. 1,0,A,5).
- Next, you will need to either enter the Memory Location in the register-based format that is utilized by the legacy device. E.g. T4:0.acc, F8:7, N7:0, etc.
- Select the Data Type of the tag added that matches the data type in the PLC.
- Enter an Update time that is desired for the tag. See the Tag Update Time section for additional help in selecting optimum update times while reducing system overhead.
- Once the tag name has been entered, click the Read button to verify operation and see the current value of the tag.